Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stitch Fix Review: May 2016

So, I may have been a little late to the Stitch Fix party, but dang is it fun. Today I'll be bringing you fix #3. Why didn't I bring you #1 & #2? Because #1 was an experiment. And #2 was a complete bust.

In case you haven't heard about it, Stitch Fix is a stylist service in which you fill out a profile, jot down some notes, and link your profile to your Pintrest board of fashion inspiration. From that, a stylist selects 5 items to send you based on your preferences and style. They sometimes give you exactly what you pinned, and sometimes give you something they think you might like based on what you pinned. Sometimes its something you wouldn't have ever tried on, but SURPRISE, you love it. Sometimes they send you something you'd have only tried on in the store as a joke. And you laugh at yourself in the mirror at home.

There's a $20 styling fee that applies towards any of the clothes that you keep. If you keep all 5 items, you get 25% off. If you want to try it out, consider using this link: stitchfix.com/referral/7254645

So now let's get to the fun. Pictures:

First up: Pixley Panorama Henley Blouse; $48. Verdict: KEEP

Very similar to an item I pinned, yet I still didn't think I'd like it all that much. It seemed a little country western to me. Until I put it on. Then I was like "Hmmm. Better than I'd thought." But there were other items in the box I was more excited about so I moved on. Then I took pictures of myself and looked back and that's when I fell in love with this shirt. I didn't expect to. As a matter of fact, I thought this baby was going back, but.. yeah. It's staying.

Style card suggested a long tan cardigan and distressed jeans. This is as close as I had. Granted, I won't wear boots all winger, but I couldn't help pairing it with my favorite brown boots. Super comfy and stylish. Yay!

My style card also recommended a black pencil skirt and grey blazer. Pencil skirts: I have a ton of. Grey blazer, not so much. But still. tucking it into the pencil skirt both felt and looked good. Not sure I'll be wearing my heels anytime soon, but at least they look good!


Next up: Level 99 Cindie Linin Printed Short; $78. Verdict: RETURN

I had told my stylist I was in a summery floral kind of mood, so she sent me these shorts. On the pro side of things, they were crazy soft. Seriously, this material was heaven. And the print wasn't crazy out there. I was tempted. But at $78, I wasn't willing to risk not wearing them. Plus, I had just bought a pair of striped shorts from White House Black Market, and the stripes were enough of an experiment for me this month.

Still, I tried them on with a navy tee shirt. Not terrible. (And can I say how proud I am to have my waistline back 8 months postpartum? This is what walking 8 mi/day during pregnancy and 4-6 after will do)


Also tried out with a basic white tee. Still ok, but I wasn't falling in love with them.


My stylist notes recommended trying it out with this Daniel Rainn top. So I tried. And laughed. Not a great look on me.


But since I had it on...
Daniel Rainn Angelika Crochet Detail Top; $64. Verdict: RETURN

...I tried it with something I would likely pair it with on my own: my Kut from the Kloth bermudas. I thought maybe the tighter shorts would work better with the fuller top.

Nope.


Maybe untucked with white capris? Nope. Figured out that the armholes were what was actually bugging me. Oh, and looking back at this picture made me start singing "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard" --- which is a hysterical youtube you should look up if you haven't seen it yet.


One last wardrobe pairing attempt: I added my trusty blue cardigan. I wear this bad boy too much. Love it. Sure enough, it (along with my Katie & Kelly blue pumps) fixed the outfit.

But I don't wear heels much as a stay at home mom with an infant. And keeping a shirt that I can only wear under something else didn't make the $64 price tag work for me.


Next up: Papermoon Pontiac Crossback Knit Top; $44. Verdict: KEEP

My style card recommended I wear this with a long grey draping cardigan and jeans or a grey jacket and white pants. I had some of those pieces, but not all, so I paired it with what I had: a White House Black Market blazer and white jeans. LOVE it.


Oh, and I even broke out my WHBM nude colored booties. With a nearly 5" heel, they don't make it out of the closet much anymore (I wore them a lot as the youngest and shortest manager in my office) but not much anymore. Looking back at these pictures, that might have to change. What do you think? Could I rock these while pushing a stroller for 4 miles? Think the neighbors might wonder about my sanity? Yeah, me too. But then again... aren't good shoes worth a little crazy?


Since my stylist also recommended this shirt to pair with the floral Level 99 shorts, but i'd already decided on sending those back, I tried out this shirt with my new WHBM striped shorts. Hmmmm. Not sure I love them together. What do you think?


Tried it on with bootcut jeans, Calvin Klein draped cardigan, and my favorite denim flats. Still looking pretty decent.


The reality though, is I am most likely to wear it solo. Without any cardigans. It is summer after all... And it has these great lacy sleeves and cross-back design. I'm seriously in love with this shirt. Oh and it's soft. SO. SOFT. It kinda feels like the best pajamas - that soft.


Last up: Gilli Sebastian Maxi Dress; $78. Verdict: RETURN

I had pinned this exact dress, so props to my stylist for paying close attention. She also took note of my need for breastfeeding friendly clothes. This dress fit that bill perfectly.

Unfortunately, I'm 5'3" (if I'm being generous), and you can see me holding the dress off the floor when wearing flats. Little hint here: with an infant and a high energy dog, you don't have a spare hand to hold your skirt up.


But for giggles, I tried it on with my WHBM 5" booties and Calvin Klein cardigan, and HEY! This is what normal height girls look like! Sadly though, I know I'd want to wear this dress all the time, which meant I'd have to wear heels all the time. And that ain't happening. Yes, I could have hemmed it, but hemming knits is no fun.



So there it is: stitch #3. What do you think of my choices? Anything you would have kept or sent back differently? 

But seriously, if you haven't, go search "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard" --- it'll get stuck in your head, but it's completely worth it. Assuming you have a bit of the dork blood that I have running through my veins.


No comments:

Post a Comment